The Scotch Plains Fire Department responds to emergency calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The department is made up of dedicated volunteers that live in and around Scotch Plains. If you are interested in joining the Scotch Plains Fire Department, please click the link above.
The SPFD was founded on February 1, 1896 as the Excelsior Hook & Ladder Company #1 located on Bartle Ave. In 1884, the Fanwood Bucket and Engine Company was organized, and was also located on Bartle Ave. A third company was formed called the Good Will Fire Department of Scotch Plains. All three companies were taken over by the Township of Scotch Plains in 1920 and were relocated next to town hall on Park Avenue. The department was then moved to its current location on Senger Place. In 1959, Company Two was opened at the corner of Raritan Road and Martine Avenue, where it is currently located.
Presently the fire department operates out of two fire houses, Station 161 on Senger Place, and Station 162 on Raritan Road. The SPFD operates 3 engines, a Rescue Truck, and a 95ft Tower Ladder. The department includes the ranks of Chief of Department, Deputy Chief, 2 Battalion Chiefs, 4 Captains, and Firefighters.
All 911 calls are received by Union County Dispatch who dispatches the appropriate equipment according to Standard Operating Procedures.